Spend One Night in a Box So Homeless Families Won't Have To
Join us Saturday, March 5th for all night fun with friends on the field at Turner Stadium and directly empower a family struggling with homelessness.
Middle School and High School Students
- $25 Registration includes event t-shirt and soup kitchen
- Register at http://www.fplh.org/events-2016-cardboardcity.html
- Event begins at 3:00 p.m. March 5th, ends at 7:00 a.m. March 6th
- Live concert on the field
- Personal tesimonials
- Speak with local media
- Soup kitchen
- Breakfast Sunday morning
All event proceeds benefit homeless families through Family Promise of Lake Houston and Humble Area Assistance Ministries.
Humble Police Department's Citizens Police Academy
Taking a few more applications for the upcoming, Humble Police Department Citizens Police Academy. I have attached the form, fill it out, return it to Officer Peters or at the Humble Police Dispatch. (form saved as PDF and as a word document)
Learn more about:
- Judicial System
- Crime Scenes
- Ride-along and much more!
This is an informative twelve week class designed to inform the community about the philosophy and operations of the Humble Police Department.
- Applications are now being accepted for the next class that will begin February 18, 2016.
You do not need to be a resident of the City of Humble to take the training.
Registration will close soon, if you are interested submit your information today!
This is a great class and I highly recommend it to everyone.
Red Flag Fire Warning in Effect Until 6 P.M. Tuesday
What is the danger?
The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a Red Flag Fire Warning for Harris County, effective Tuesday, February 9th until 6 p.m.
A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions will occur. A combination of strong winds and low relative humidity will create explosive fire growth potential. Any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly.
NWS predicts strong winds of up to 15 mph with gusts nearing 25 mph.
What you need to do:
Be careful with items that can spark fires.
Dispose of smoking materials in an appropriate container and ensure they are completely extinguished. Do not discard these items into any open area as they may start a fire that will spread rapidly. Do not dispose of smoking materials out of your vehicle when traveling.
Business owners and property managers should have appropriate disposable containers in areas where smoking occurs outside.
Do not burn brush or trash ever without appropriate approval.
Do not use outside grills or cooking equipment during these times. If you must, ensure you have some type of extinguishing agent nearby (water hose, bucket of sand, fire extinguisher, etc.).
Where you can learn more:
- Harris County Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management
- Harris County Fire Marshal's Office
- National Weather Service
For more information visit the Regional Joint Information Center website at www.readyharris.org
Houston Food Bank - Free Food Give-A-Way
Please note, those receiving food will need to bring their own bags.
When: Saturday, January, 30, 2016
Time: 9:00 A.M.
Where: Greater Pure Light Church
Address: 12330 Vickery, Houston, Texas 77039
We Need You! Ham Radio Operators Needed For The 2016 CERT Rodeo
We Need You: Saturday, February 13, 2016 7a-3p
If you're a brand new Ham that doesn't have a radio yet or an experienced Ham with 15 years of public service communications experience, YOU'RE NEEDED for one of the most interesting, enjoyable and dynamic public service events in the Houston area.
This annual competition tests the skills of CERT volunteers. They'll participate in a series of events using the skills they learned in their 8-week training program; basic medical operations, search and rescue, fire suppression, cribbing and scene size-up. These are some of the exciting team building activities you'll see and communicate about.
A number of Ham radio positions are available to support the leadership of the Harris County Citizen Corp in a variety of physical activity levels. This is your opportunity to meet and work closely with the Emergency Management Professionals who will be serving in an actual disaster or emergency.
We can even assist new Hams with a loaner radio. Just mention it in the Any Special Needs... section of the registration form.
For More Information: http://www.harriscountycitizencorps.com/news/certrodeo.asp
See you there!
Christine Smith - N5CAS
CERT Rodeo Communications Chair
Alfred Perez - N5VEV, EC-001, AUXCOMM
CERT Rodeo Communications Deputy
Communications Unit Leader
Technician Class Course Dates
I will be holding a 2 day Technician Class at Christ the King Lutheran Church, in Kingwood, TX on April 16 and April 30th. Testing will be on April 30th. The times are 8:30 to 5:30 each day and the weekend in between those dates is for studying. I had to change the dates I originally had for the class because of Easter Weekend.
The class if free, but you will have to buy a Gordon West Technician Class book normally available from Houston Amateur Radio supply on FM1960. It will cost a little over $20.00. There is a $15.00 fee dictated by the FCC to take the Technician class test.
Members, Meeting date: Friday, 1-8-16 at 1:00 p.m.
We have asks Officer Rich Peters of the Humble Police Department to present to our group, and invited guest, the "Active Shooter" presentation. See the attached for more information. What you will learn in this presentation can and will save your life if you are ever in this situation.
For invited guest, our meetings are held at the location below.
23320 Hwy. 59 ( Feeder north)
Kingwood, Texas 77339
If you are coming from Humble, take the exit for Kingwood Drive. Cross over Kingwood drive, stay on the feeder road, turn right onto Kingwood Parc. Stay on Kingwood Parc and you will come to Homewood Suites on the right. We meet on the second floor.
CRTF Board members will meet at noon.
Hope to see you there!
Carole Chambers - President
Leroy Harrison - Vice-President
Chris Green - Secretary/Treasurer
PARADE DATE IS TUESDAY, DECEMBER 1, 2015
Parade start time: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, 11-24-15
Last minute change on Christmas Parade line-up for tomorrow. The parade will line-up on Main Street and the parking lots, across the street from our office. (Family Dollar, King Dollar stores etc.) They do not issue participants a "number" therefore, you will have to look for the antique fire trucks/Clint Johnson.
A few questions I have been asks in reference to our parade before:
- You may wear your vest over your coats, if you like. They are not a required.
- Children under the age of 10 years, should be accompanied by an adult, on the trucks.
- Parade will dismount same place as boarding.
- Humble provides numerous security. Officers will be patrolling (walking, bicycles, gulf carts and plain clothes).
- You do not have to be a CERT member to ride. Everyone is welcome!
- Depending on number of entries, it usually last approximately 20 to 30 minutes, from the time they begin to the end.
- Upon completion of parade, Santa will see children at the City Park, located in the middle of Main Street.
Parking is always a nightmare, so you may want to come a few minutes early. Our Fire Department, Fire Marshal, Chamber of Commerce, and Police Dept., parking lots, will be closed to the public. These areas, aforementioned, are subject to toll-away zone. They are reserved for City of Humble first responders.
- All parade entries and persons who would like to help, bring a new toy or can food. These are used to help numerous families in the area have a brighter Christmas. Not a requirement!
Tornado Watch Issued for Harris County until 4:00 p.m.
What is the danger?
A Tornado Watch has been issued for Harris County until 4:00 p.m. today.
A tornado watch means that conditions are favorable for the development of funnel clouds.
What you need to do:
Tornadoes can form with little or no warning. Residents should take the following steps:
- Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or to commercial radio or television newscasts for the latest information. In any emergency, always listen to the instructions given by local emergency management officials.
- Be alert to changing weather conditions. Look for approaching storms.
- Look for the following danger signs:
- Dark, often greenish sky
- Large hail
- A large, dark, low-lying cloud (particularly if rotating)
- Loud roar, similar to a freight train.
- If you see approaching storms or any of the danger signs, be prepared to take shelter immediately.
- In the event of a tornado, take shelter on the lowest possible floor of your home or office, preferably in a windowless room.
- If you are outdoors, look for a low-lying, flat location.
Faithfully Ready Workshop
Dear Houston-area Faith Community Leader,
What would you do if an emergency occurred in your worship space? Is your community ready to respond to a disaster? Does your community have a plan to keep worshippers safe while welcoming the stranger? What resources are available to help answer these questions?
The City of Houston Office of Emergency Management and Interfaith Ministries for Greater Houston are proud to host Faithfully Ready Workshops throughout Houston now through April. These workshops will:
- Explore best practices in emergency planning for Houses of Worship
- Provide a template for writing a plan specific to each organization
- Discuss city and regional plans for hazards specific to our area
- Give some insight into the broader response networks and how to connect with them
Who should attend?
- Lay and professional faith leaders
- Day school staff
- Building and Operations Managers
- Anyone interested in helping prepare faith communities to respond to emergencies and disasters
Register now to attend a workshop near you at www.faithfullyready.org. There are currently two sessions scheduled in Houston, with many more to be announced.
Good Shepherd Episcopal Church, Kingwood
1:00pm - 3:00pm
2929 Woodland Hills Drive
Houston, Texas 77339
Clear Lake Islamic Center
10:00am - 12:00pm
17511 El Camino Real
Houston, Texas 77058